Thursday, August 16, 2012

Log and Mill Tour

Today was the Log and Mill Tour. We had to be in Forks by 8:45; it's about a 15 minute drive. Hubby wanted to leave at 7:30. Huh? I guess he thought there would be tons of traffic. This is the woods man, no traffic here. We arrived at 7:45, a whole hour ahead of schedule. We drove around town awhile and just took our time getting to the Logging Museum.

The van they use holds 14 people, including the driver, and we filled it. It took about 45 minutes to get up to the logging site and we had no idea where we were. It would have been nice if he told us which forest we were in, maybe it was top secret. Half of the drive was on a dirt road. We were bumping along so hard I thought the sides of the van were going to fall off. And it was literally shaking the pee right out of my kidneys. When we got to the site I was desperately looking around for a port-a-potty. I didn't care if it was used by a bunch of manly logger men, I would have used it.


The site wasn't as large as I thought it would be. I guess I watch too much TV.

The required attire of the day
Don't we look like we're having fun? The yarder was not working so there wasn't a whole lot going on. It looked like mostly loading up the trucks.


We then crammed back into the van and headed to the mill. On the way down the hill we stopped briefly to take a picture of Mt. Olympus, which is in the Olympic Mountain Range. Mount Olympus is the largest in the range at almost 8000 feet. When we all piled out of the van, you should have seen the bee line to the bathroom. I guess I'm not the only one that got shook up.



The mill is small with less than 20 employees. Our guide who was a retired logger, walked us through the mill. We had to wear earplugs so I'm afraid I didn't hear anything he was saying.




There really wasn't that much to take pictures of. Plus we were getting tired, hot, and hungry. So that's it for the Mill Tour. I'm glad we went, but probably wouldn't do it again.

Later that evening we took a short drive back to Rialto to catch a sunset. It wasn't as beautiful as some of the pictures I've seen but it was still a nice way to end the day.

1 comment:

James Wei said...

Logging industry keeps people alive in most rural towns. Sustainable logging does work as seen in Australia.

The sun set image is beautiful!