Friday, December 16, 2011

Manito Park’s Gaiser Conservatory

Every year our local Manito Park Conservatory adorns their plants, trees, shrubs, cacti, and hundreds of Poinsettias with over 30,000 Christmas lights.
My camera really didn't know how to act with all of the lights but I think it did a pretty good job.

It was hard to pick just a few because every corner was so beautiful.
The light show started in 1994 and only missed one year in '96 due to an ice storm.
It takes two workers 5 weeks to string the 30,000 lights. They're slowly converting to LED and are now at 20% this year .

Some of the oldest plants there are a 105 year old Christmas cactus and a 75 year old Jade tree. There were a couple of Jades, so I'm not sure if this is the one or not.
It's warm and steamy inside and you feel like you're in a totally different country. They also have a Bird of Paradise which seems to always be in bloom, no pic though.
I love all the cactus. They look so pretty with lights on them. One tall one with green lights came out blurry (I said my camera was confused), but the rest were impressive.



It's been about 5 years since we've been there and I don't think we should wait so long until the next time.

Mmmmm, could be my Christmas card next year

5 comments:

bill said...

"Mmmmm, could be my Christmas card next year."

Or Mine. I like. Nice addition to your album.

kden said...

Thanks Bill, I always appreciate it when you stop by.

Teena in Toronto said...

Looks lovely!

Happy blogoversary :)

kden said...

Wow, thanks Teena! I always seem to miss my own anniversary. Thanks for the reminder.

David said...

Fantastic photo and caption. Bravo!